Hair loss is no less than a nightmare for many. Some people are at a higher risk of facing baldness and hair thinning, especially, if it runs in the family. It is important to identify signs of hair loss at the very beginning and take necessary treatment. The cosmetic industry has advanced when it comes to restoring lost hair. We have successful world class treatment options that can guarantee good results. Apart from hair transplants and topical medications, Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy is an evolving technique. PRP treatment helps with hair re-growth without the need for going through a surgical procedure. No longer should anyone stay indoors or under confident due to their hair loss concerns. It can be effectively treated and the person can restore his normal life with better self-esteem.
What is PRP hair treatment?
PRP is a technique that is used for both aesthetic and medical concerns in the patients. It was commonly used among athletes to fix issues such as injured ligaments, muscles and joints. Apart from musculoskeletal issues, today it is used for skin and hair problems. PRP treatment for hair works on the principle of deriving platelet rich plasma from the person’s own blood and injecting it to the required area to promote healing. Blood drawn from the individual is passed through a centrifuge to spin the blood and separate the main components such as plasma. This blood is injected into the scalp of the patients to promote hair regrowth and improve the scalp health to facilitate hair growth. This procedure works best for patients who have begun to show signs of hair loss. Multiple sessions of PRP injections would be needed to get good results. The procedure is not too painful and requires very minimal recovery period because of which patients find the treatment comfortable.
PRP treatment success rate
PRP hair treatment has a success rate of close to 75% among patients who have undertaken the treatment. Some of the key factors that determine the success of the treatment are:
- Effective administration of the PRP injections (ample precision, care and skill is required to get the treatment right)
- Experience level of the doctor, quality of the clinic and care provided
- High intensity cardio exercise helps increase the amount of PRP derived from the blood. This is because cardio exercises helps in the production of larger amounts of red blood cells in the body.
- Ensuring a diet that concentrates on fruits, leafy vegetables and proteins. Healthy eating habits can work to improve the immune system which in turn helps give better results from PRP.
- Regular follow-up sessions and appropriate pre and post procedural care
The results of a PRP treatment are dependent on how consistent the patient has been with the suggested number of sessions. There must be a gap between each session which the doctor will determine depending upon the person’s response to the procedure. Patients with higher volume of hair might require fewer sessions.
A dermatologist would be able to assess the current state of hair thinning or baldness and devise a treatment plan. This will take into account the patients response to the injection, medical history, reaction to medications and other factors. Based on the assessment, a treatment plan that could combine PRP along with other hair restoration treatments can be planned for better results. The doctor and patient must have a thorough consultation to understand the patient’s current hair condition and required results.
PRP treatment cost in India
On an average PRP treatment costs between INR 4k to 15k in India for a single session. In Chennai, PRP treatment costs between INR 4800 to 12,500. Factors such as the city and clinic where the procedure is done, the doctor’s experience level, the technology used and the number of sessions decide the exact cost of PRP treatments. It is important for patients to choose a board-certified doctor who specializes in PRP treatments. Depending on the degree of hair thinning and baldness, the dermatologist would decide the number of sessions that a patient would need.
PRP hair treatment reviews
Patients have received satisfying results with PRP treatments. At Tamira, we have been successfully able to reverse hair thinning and baldness for a good number of patients. Below is the review of a 24-year-old patient who shares his positive experience with PRP treatment.
PRP hair treatment results
The results of a PRP treatment also depends on the extent of baldness and hair thinning that the patient has. In some cases, PRP treatment is combined with topical medications for getting the best results. Since PRP is not a permanent solution, patients would have to visit the doctor for touch-ups at least once in two years or as advised by the doctor.
PRP hair treatment side effects
PRP treatment being a non-surgical technique ensures that surgical complications are avoided. And since the plasma is derived from the person’s own blood there is higher chance of preventing any reactions or infections. However, some patients might experience the below side-effects.
- Common side-effects
– tightness of the scalp and headache after the injections
– slight pain at the site of injection
– bleeding and redness in the site of injection
– Swelling of the forehead region
- Rare side-effects
– blood clots
– allergic reaction
– nerve or tissue damage
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can PRP regrow hair?
PRP treatments have great healing properties because of its rich composition of proteins and growth elements. PRP can improve the health of the scalp and reverse hair thinning and hair loss.
- How fast does PRP work on hair?
PRP does not give immediate results. It requires at least 3 to 4 months before a person gets to see considerable hair growth. The sessions are usually done after an interval of a month and once good results are obtained, it could be repeated in an interval of 9 to 12 months.
- How many PRP treatments are needed for hair growth?
Two to three sessions of PRP treatment is needed for ensuring hair growth. The exact number of sessions for each patient depends on the extent of hair loss.
- Who is a good candidate for PRP hair treatment?
Both men and women who suffer from hair thinning and has just begun to show signs of baldness can get great results from PRP hair treatment.
- Who should avoid PRP hair treatment?
Individuals who have the below health conditions must avoid PRP treatments:
- Immunosuppressive diseases such as HIV
- Any pre-existing skin conditions
- Blood and platelet disorders
Individuals who are pregnant must also avoid PRP treatments.
- Is PRP hair treatment painful?
PRP hair treatment is not very painful. Local anesthesia is at time administered to minimize the pain and discomfort for patients.
- Does hair fall after PRP?
PRP enhances hair growth and the health of the scalp. However, patients might experience a period of hair shedding before getting to see new hair growth.
- Does PRP stop hair loss?
PRP does stop hair loss and promotes new hair growth.
- What are the side effects of PRP?
PRP is considered a safe procedure and most patients do not suffer from side effects. However, rarely there can be tissue or nerve damage, infection and pain in the site of PRP injections.
- How do I prepare for PRP hair treatment?
Some of the important measures to prepare for PRP hair treatments are
- Avoid using hair spray, hair color or gel for 3-4 days prior to the treatment
- Avoid styling products and heat based treatments for 3 days
- Avoid blood thinning, anti-inflammatory and antibiotic medications at least for a week before treatment
- Avoid excessive exposure to the sun
- Avoid smoking and alcohol for 3 days before treatment
- Ensure good sleep before the procedure
- Take enough water and ensure nutritious meals throughout the week
- What should I avoid after PRP?
After the procedure, patients must follow the below steps:
- Avoid blood thinning, anti-inflammatory and antibiotic medications for one week before treatment, unless if it is prescribed by the doctor
- Apply cold compress or ice only after the consultation with doctor
- Do not wash the hair for 3-4 days after the procedure
- Avoid alcohol, smoking and caffeine for a few days after procedure
- Eat healthy and nutritious meals and ensure good water intake
- Avoid hot water showers or saunas for 3-4 days after the procedure
- Can I wash my hair after PRP?
It is advised to stay away from washing the hair for 12-24 hours after the procedure. This is done to ensure that you do not irritate the site of the PRP treatment. Mild exercises and normal self-care routine can be resumed after 48 hours of the treatment.
- Which is better PRP or hair transplant?
Hair transplant works best on individuals who have evident bald spots or who suffer from hair loss conditions such as hereditary hair loss, male or female pattern hair loss and more. PRP therapies work better for people with hair thinning issues.
- How long does PRP last?
The results of a PRP hair treatment can work last for 18-24 months after the first PRP treatment that may include 2-3 sessions. Follow up is required after this period to maintain the results.